Recently I presenting at the Indianapolis PowerShell User Group and talked about Desired State Configuration. The presentation was 100% demonstrations, and I decided it would be a good idea to provide all of the PowerShell commands/instructions I used to build my lab environment for the presentation.
Note: Please note that these instructions were written using multiple Experimental DSC Resources, Microsoft and I myself provide no guarantee that these will work in a production environment. I strongly encourage that you use test environments that do not matter until you feel comfortable with DSC.
- Licensed/Trial Media for Windows Server 2012 R2
- An installed/updated Sys prepped VM Parent Disk
- Stored at D:\Templates\Server2012R2.vhdx
- a Virtual Switch within Hyper-V Configured as a Private, named “Private Network”
- At least 7GB of free memory
- You can adjust this all the way down to just 4GB
- Downloaded copy of the latest DSC Resource Kit – Download Here
Now before we dive into the scripting component of this blog post I want you to know that this is not 100% automated. You will have some manual steps here and there, it is possible to 100% automate – but that will require significantly more effort. Please continue reading for instructions on this demonstration.